Saturday, August 1, 2009

STUFF THE BUS

Last week, a few members of Lexie's dance team participated in the "Stuff the Bus" school supply drive. They danced a few times in front of the local Wal-Mart and asked for school supply donations. The girls did a great job! They got a lot of donations during their time there. Lexie's dance coach commented to Lexie on how good she was at speaking to strangers. Yep, that's Lexie--bold and brave! I did see her giving her speech to a few shoppers, and I was quite impressed with how at ease she was. I was always terrified to speak to or in front of anyone, and she is very confident when she does it. She has always been an entertainer, so I guess it comes naturally to her.


Most people were very friendly and polite to the girls, but I was surprised at some people's reaction. "I buy my kids' school supplies. Other people can by their own." and "I pay taxes." were a few of the rude comments they got. My thoughts go back to the little rule we all learned when we were little: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I understand that a lot of people don't have the extra money to buy school supplies for other people. I also know that this time of year can be quite a burden for many families. I have had children in my classroom that honestly could not afford pencils. "Stuff the Bus" and other similar fundraisers are a wonderful help to many kids, so they can start the school year with shiny new school supplies just like everyone else.

Way to go Wildcats! Thanks for helping out.

(The sky wasn't really pink. I think my little camera is dying.)

1 comment:

Reba said...

How neat that she feels so natural speaking to others...a trait that will serve her well in life. I am surprised to hear that other people said that too...I know. I keep a box in my classroom just for those moments a child suddenly needs a supply I know they cannot afford.