Saturday, October 11, 2008

Nicholas Sparks

Today I received an early birthday present from Monte. He bought tickets for my mom and me to go to A Conversation With Nicholas Sparks. We had so much fun. My friend Beckie introduced me to his books, and I have not been able to put them down since. (Except when I was pregnant. Monte made me stop reading them then because I cried way too much.) I was so excited when I found out he was going to be here. He kind of told his story this morning, which was great. You can read some of it at nicholassparks.com, but it is much funnier when he tells it. One thing I found out that I haven't been able to find online, is that he and his wife opened a private high school. The main things they wanted were for it to be Christian and college prep. Then they added field trips. When a child graduates from this school they will have visited 6 continents and 23 countries. Plus there is an optional post graduation trip to Australia and New Zealand. (I think I am ready to go back to high school.) One thing I found out about him that really impressed me is that he coaches track every afternoon at a very, very poor school. If you ever want to see him, he's there in everyday at 3:30 in New Bern, North Carolina.



6 comments:

Suz said...

I LOVE Nicholas Sparks! How exciting that you got to meet him! I'm jealous!!! :)

Will you be able to make it Tuesday to bunco? We still need to plan a lunch date!!

amyj said...

How great that you got to meet him! It was so fun to see you on Friday. We must do it again very soon!!

Amberly said...

Nicholas Sparks..He is also my favorite. Mike hates it when I start one of his books because I dont do anything until I finish it.

Mrs. Hughes said...

Very cool! We went to see Nights in Rodanthe last weekend!

Reba said...

I am SO very envious you got to see him! I love reading his books, though I know there are several I still haven't read. He is one of the few authors I read outside of the "Christian genre" though some of his books do fall in that category too. I just read about that private high school and was really impressed. I also read that he does very few public speaking appearances each year, so that makes your day even more special!

Rhonda said...

I am SO jealous! He is one of my favorite writers. I wanted to go so badly, but didn't want to go by myself. Your hubby is great! Love all the postings of your kids. They are both gorgeous!
Love,
Rhonda